Kuraray Co. Ltd. (President: Fumio Ito; Headquarters: Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo) announced today the establishment of a new polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH) resin production facility at its U.S. subsidiary Kuraray America Inc. (a wholly owned subsidiary in Houston, Texas). Details are provided below.
Background of the Facility Establishment
- The establishment of this new facility is in line with the Kuraray Group’s global strategies for its core business of vinyl acetate and PVOH-related products.
- Following on business expansion in Japan, Singapore, and Europe (Germany), this move will secure a fourth advantageously situated production base for the group; in this case, in North America where shale gas is easy to procure.
- Based on proprietary Kuraray production techniques, four production bases can sustainably offer high-quality products on a global scale.
- The new facility will be able to meet demands for markets in North America and burgeoning Central and South America.
Overview of the New Facility Establishment
- Location: La Porte, Harris County, Texas, USA (land for the facility has already been purchased)
- Production Capacity: 40,000 tons/year in the first phase
- Schedule: Completion of facility construction is planned for September 2014.
- Notes: For this investment, the Texas Enterprise Fund investment has been granted by the State of Texas (The Office of Governor Rick Perry), and Harris County Tax Abatement has been granted by Harris County Commissioners Court.
Overview of Kuraray America Inc.
- Company Name: Kuraray America Inc.
- President: George Avdey
- Capital: US$10.1 million (100% investment by Kuraray Holdings U.S.A., Inc.)
- Employees: Around 210
- Principal Businesses: Production and sale of ethylene vinyl alcohol copolymer (EVOH resin) and thermoplastic elastomers as well as import/export and sale of chemical and textile products.
- Location: 2625 Bay Area Boulevard, Suite 600, Houston, Texas 77058-1551 USA
For media inquiries, please contact Deborah Kleinen (firstname.lastname@example.org).