Kuraray successfully acquires DuPont Glass Laminating Solutions/Vinyls
World-renowned, integrated vinyl acetate company gains
ownership of six GLS/Vinyls’ facilities around the globe
HOUSTON – Officials with Kuraray (TSE:3405), a world leader in performance-based polymer and synthetic chemistry technologies, today announced the company successfully acquired DuPont (NYSE:DD) Glass Laminating Solutions/Vinyls (GLS/Vinyls), a segment of DuPont Packaging & Industrial Polymers. The $543-million acquisition will double the size of Kuraray’s presence in the United States, Central and South America, transitioning it from a mid-size contributor to a large presence in the industry.
GLS/Vinyls is a top supplier of polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH)/vinyl acetate-derived products used in a variety of architectural, automotive and industrial applications. The acquisition allows Kuraray to expand its technical and operational strength in the areas of technology, R&D, manufacturing and sales network. The purchase also offers Kuraray an integrated supply chain, presence in six new markets worldwide and increased availability of resources through DuPont’s strong market penetration.
As part of the acquisition, Kuraray America, Inc., the U.S. division, will now operate GLS/Vinyls’ locations in Fayetteville, N.C., Washington Works, W. Va and Wilmington, Del., employing 350 of the 600 former GLS/Vinyls’ employees.
Kuraray became a world leader in the commercialization of the PVOH (Poval) fiber KURALON, which is used as an asbestos substitute, a reinforcing material of cement and a strengthening agent in rubber, among other uses. The company also produces PVA film for LCD and detergent unit packaging, along with EVOH (ethylene vinyl alcohol) resin (EVAL) for food packaging and gasoline tanks.
Profile of Kuraray
(1) Name : Kuraray Co., Ltd.
(2) Headquarter : Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo JAPAN
(3) Representative : Fumio Ito
(4) Business : Manufacturing and sales of chemicals and resins, fibers and textiles, high performance material, medical products and others
(5) Establish : 1926
(6) URL : www.kuraray.co.jp/en
Profile of DuPont
(1) Name : E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company
(2) Headquarter : Wilmington DE ( United States )
(3) Representative : Ellen J. Kullman, Chair of the Board & CEO
(4) Business : Supplying of products, technology and service based on scientific technology
(5) Establish : 1802
(6) URL : www.dupont.com