EXCEVAL™ is the brand name for Kuraray’s hydrophobically modified polyvinyl alcohol especially designed for the requirements of “high water resistance”. Although EXCEVAL™ is readily water-soluble like any fully hydrolyzed KURARAY POVAL™ grades it absorbs less humidity in comparison to other KURARAY POVAL™ grades.
EXCEVAL is the polyvinyl alcohol of choice for water-resistant emulsions, for D3 adhesives and D4 adhesives. EXCEVAL produces coatings with excellent gas barriers towards oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide…even in high relative humidity.
Barrier Films for Food Applications
KURARAY POVAL™ and Kuraray EXCEVAL™ have excellent film forming properties. With the ability to bond to cellulose materials, these polymers are excellent for improving the properties of paper packaging applications as a barrier against odor, grease and water.
- Fine-grained, free-flowing white powder
- Ash content ranges from 0.4 to 0.7
- Strong film properties
- Transparent and glossy
- Strong compatibility with starch and cellulose
- Higher water resistance and lower moisture absorption compared to Poval
- Resistance to organic chemicals
- Strong metal adhesion
- Emulsion polymerization
- Paper products
- Barrier coatings of film, paper, and other substrates from an aqueous solution